Friday, November 14, 2008

The College Football Blog: Week 12 Betting Lines

Last Week: Vs. Spread (3-7); Moneyline Upsets (0-4)
Season: Vs. Spread (49-60-1); Moneyline Upsets (10-17)

Week 11 Review: Well, last week was positively horrific on my part, as I went just 3 for 10 against the spread and drew an oh-fer picking upsets. I’m now more than 10 games below .500 ATS this year which is positively awful. My worst picks last week ATS were PSU to cover -7.5 against Iowa and Tennessee covering -26.5 against Wyoming. Whoops!

Week 12 Preview: There’s a good chance I’ll be better this week because I was so god awful last week. I couldn’t possibly be worse. Or could I? Maybe if I try to be wrong this week I’ll go 7-3

Saturday
Game 1: Rutgers (+8) @ South Florida.
Pick: Rutgers beats the spread.
Comment: South Florida has lost 3 of 4, while Rutgers has won 3 straight. The Scarlet Knights haven’t lost by more than 7 points since their second game of the year. The Bulls are coming off a bye week and I think they’ll win, but not by more than a touchdown.

Game 2: Purdue (+18) @ Iowa
Pick: Purdue beats the spread.
Comment: I know Purdue sucks but Iowa is coming off its biggest win in years and I just think they’re bound to letup a little big. 18 points is a fairly large spread. I’ll take the Boilermakers to stay within at least 17.

Game 3: Texas (-13.5) @ Kansas
Pick: Texas covers.
Comment: At this point I think the Jayhawks are almost a complete fraud. All they’ve done this season is take care of business against the bad teams on their schedule. They lost by 42 to Texas Tech at home a few weeks ago, and I don’t see this one being much closer.

Game 4: Middle Tennessee State (-2.5) @ Western Kentucky
Pick: MTS covers.
Comment: What? This is an FBS game. I’m allowed to pick this one. MTS beat Maryland by 10 this year and nearly beat Kentucky. Western Kentucky is 0-8 against FBS competition. I’ll take MTS on the road by a field goal.

Game 5: Minnesota (+13.5) @ Wisconsin
Pick: Minnesota beats the spread.
Comment: What’s up with this spread? QB Adam Webber is probable for Minnesota. I know the Gophers have lost 2 straight but they’re 3-1 on the road this season. Wisconsin has won 11 of 13 in this rivalry but they’ve already lost twice at home this year. I think the Gophers can stay within 13 points.

Game 6: South Carolina (+21.5) @ Florida
Pick: Gators cover.
Comment: The Gamecocks haven’t been blown out by anybody this year but the Gators are the best team in the country right now. I think they’ll chalk up another huge SEC win this weekend against the Ol’ Ball Coach.

Game 7: Texas A&M (+9) @ Baylor
Pick: A&M covers.
Comment: A&M’s QB is questionable but I still don’t think Baylor will win by more than a touchdown.

Game 8: Washington State (+36.5) @ Arizona State
Pick: Arizona State covers.
Comment: Wazu is awful. I’m taking whoever they’re playing regardless of the spread at this point.

Game 9: USC (-24) @ Stanford
Pick: Stanford beats the spread.
Comment: I know the Trojans will be up for this one but Stanford is actually not that bad of a program right now. I think they’ll stay within 3 touchdowns of Troy at home.

Game 10: UCLA (-6.5) @ Washington
Pick: Washington beats the spread.
Comment: I don’t think Washington gets off the schnide this week but I think they’ll put a scare into UCLA at home.

Moneyline Specials

I went crazy last week and decided to pick 4 moneyline upsets and I ended up paying for it by going 0-4. I really didn’t come close on any game, but my worst pick was UCLA over Oregon State, as the Beavers ended up rolling, 34-6. With my confidence completely shaken, I’m only picking 1 moneyline upset this week.

Maryland over UNC: The Terps are 3 point underdogs at home this week against the Tar Heels, despite the fact that they come into the game undefeated at home this year. Maryland has had a few extra days rest to prepare for this one and in the ACC anything can happen.

No comments: