Thursday, October 18, 2012

The NFL Blog: 2012 Week 7 Betting Lines



Last Week: Vs. Spread: (5-9); Straight Up: (5-9)
Season: Vs. Spread: (50-39-2); Straight Up: (50-41)

Week 6 Review: Last week was definitely one of my worst weeks of the year. On the other hand, it could have been worse considering some of the surprises. At halftime of the Monday night game, it really looked like I was going to finish 6-8, 6-8 (which sounds way better than 5-9, 5-9), but then the Chargers imploded. But in the end, while my record was ugly last week, I feel lucky that it wasn’t worse. 

This is the sort of thing that can happen at various points during the year, especially when favorites go 6-8 straight up. I was lucky to go 5-9 ATS considering that I had 10 favorites covering the spread. 

I also have the natural pessimism of a lifelong Falcons fan, and this caused me to predict that their game with the Raiders at home would be much closer than most people thought. 


Week 7 Preview: I’m going to go ahead and say it: this is easily going to be the worst week of the year for me. I’m not talking about my predictions, although it could end up to be my worst week in that regard as well. But I’m talking about my worst week in terms of my level of enjoyment. 

It’s not that there aren’t any good matchups this week; the entire slate is actually full of interesting games, including good matchups on Thursday night, Sunday night, and Monday night. 

There are just 13 games this week, with 6 teams taking their bye weeks. But to be honest, the real problem with this week isn’t the number of games either. 

The idle teams include my team, but while it doesn’t help the situation, the fact that the Falcons aren’t playing isn’t reason enough alone for this to be my least favorite week of the year.  

The reason week 7 will be torturous for me is that Sunday’s scheduling is brutal. It’s downright abusive. 

There are 10 games taking place on Sunday not including NBC’s game. For some reason, the NFL has decided to start 8 of them at 1:00 and leave just 2 for the 4:00 PM time slot. The two late games are both on CBS and only one is worth watching (New York Jets at New England). The Pats/Jets game is usually an interesting one. Unfortunately, Jacksonville at Oakland doesn’t figure to be much fun. 

Those are the two choices, making the NFL package virtually worthless during the late portion of games this Sunday. Plus, even if you have my setup (two TV’s, 1 going from game-to-game, the other on Red Zone) it’s tough to keep an eye on 8 games at once. 

Look, it isn’t hard to figure out why the NFL is in this situation. Fox has the baseball playoffs on Sunday, so they needed to have all of their games start at 1:00. CBS is under no obligation (as far as I know) to alter their schedule in order to help spread things out. It really isn’t a big deal I suppose, it’s just really, really annoying. 

I pay out the ass for the NFL package for several reasons but there is one that outweighs everything else combined: I hate commercials, especially during NFL games. The late game portion of this week is going to be nearly as bad as not having the NFL package. 

And I pity the poor souls who happen to fall within the sphere of coverage for Jacksonville-Oakland. In fact, some of my neighbors may be left with that game and nothing else. 

As for my picks, I’m obviously hoping for a bounce back week. To be honest, I’m a little nervous. When I looked at the games this week for some reason I just saw all favorites. There are plenty of good matchups. In fact, only 1 spread is more than 7.5 this week, and yet I’m not picking a single underdog to win straight up and I’m taking 9 of 13 favorites ATS. 

That wouldn’t have worked out well last week. Then again, maybe we’ll get a correction this week and things will fall heavily on the side of the favorites.   


Thursday Night’s Game


Seattle (+7.5) @ San Francisco
Pick: Niners cover


Sunday’s Early Games 


Washington (+6) @ New York Giants
Pick: Giants cover


Arizona (+6) @ Minnesota
Pick: Vikings cover


Dallas (-1) @ Carolina
Pick: Cowboys cover


New Orleans (-2.5) @ Tampa Bay
Pick: Saints cover


Green Bay (-5) @ St. Louis
Pick: Packers cover


Baltimore (+6.5) @ Houston
Pick: Texans win but Ravens beat the spread


Cleveland (+3) @ Indianapolis
Pick: Colts cover


Tennessee (+3) @ Buffalo
Pick: Bills cover



Sunday’s Late Games


New York Jets (+10.5) @ New England
Pick: Patriots win but Jets beat the spread


Jacksonville (+4) @ Oakland
Pick: Raiders win but Jags beat the spread



Sunday Night’s Game


Pittsburgh (-1) @ Cincinnati
Pick: Steelers cover



Monday Night’s Game


Detroit (+5.5) @ Chicago
Pick: Bears win but Lions beat the spread









No comments: