Saturday, January 26, 2013

The NFL Blog: 2012 Super Bowl Betting Lines



Last Week: Vs. Spread: (1-1); Straight Up: (0-2)
Season: Vs. Spread: (135-125-6); Straight Up: (175-90-1)

Championship Round Review: Yeah. It’s hard to be a fan of the Home Teams. But one day…one day it’s going to be our time. 

Puzzling performance by the Patriots in the other game. I expected the game to be very competitive, as the Ravens always play New England tough. In the end, you could almost say that I was wrong: it wasn’t that competitive. Baltimore won fairly convincingly. Or maybe I should say New England just sucked. 

It wasn’t a surprise that the Pats had trouble shutting down Baltimore’s offense. But I was surprised to see Baltimore’s defense shutdown the NE offense. Clearly Gronk’s absence hurt but the Pats also just got outplayed. Brady was very un-Brady. He had a total mental breakdown late in the first half. He was indecisive as to whether to take off or throw the ball, eventually going into that bizarre slide/defensive kick, and then not calling a timeout and letting too much time run off the clock, leading to NE having to settle for a FG try. He seemed a bit jittery in this game. 

New England can usually count on picking up yards and 1st downs with relative ease, but it seemed like Baltimore’s defense made the Patriots work hard for every yard and every conversion. And two recurring themes were again a part of the story: yet another extremely ill-timed Wes Welker drop in a big game; yet another huge hit on a Patriots player by Bernard Pollard. Also, again, the recurring theme of New England suffering a key injury in January. 

Anyway, it was my least favorite Championship Sunday of all-time. I didn’t pick either of the games correctly straight up and I was just 1-1 ATS (couldn’t believe the Birds didn’t even end up beating the spread).  It couldn’t have gone much worse for me last Sunday. My team lost; my pet team lost; I didn’t pick the games well; and our loss was made even worse knowing that it not only cost us a spot in the Super Bowl but almost certainly cost us a world championship because we would have killed the Ravens. Fuck.

Super Bowl Preview: I can’t say I’m all that excited for the final game of the year either. Actually, I can’t remember the last time I was this disinterested in the Super Bowl. I guess I’d have to go with 2002 (Tampa vs. Oakland). But seriously, I don’t think I’ve thought about the matchup for longer than 45 seconds at any point during this week. I’m not remotely interested in the “Harbaugh vs. Harbaugh” aspect of this game. Can’t believe we dodged that bullet last year only for it to come back and bite us just a year later. 

I don’t really want either side to win. I wouldn’t mind seeing Ray Lewis win another Super Bowl in his final game, but that’s pretty much the only positive thought I have about that team. Other than that I hate Baltimore. I really don’t want to see this SF team win in their first playoff run with Kaepernick. It just seems like it shouldn’t be that easy. No matter what happens I‘m not going to be happy. 

There are a few interesting aspects of the matchup but I’m just having a really hard time being anything other than a Negative Nelson about everything right now. Obviously you have the head coach thing and the Ray Lewis thing and the Kaepernick-Smith thing. 

There’s also this Baltimore team trying to win a 2nd title. And if Baltimore wins this year you just have to chalk it up to “well, it was just their turn.” Think about the injuries that they’ve dealt with this season involving Lewis, Terrell Suggs, Ed Reed, and Lardarius Webb. They had that awful slump late in the year, fired their OC, and there was a lot of pressure on Joe Flacco heading into the playoffs. They’ve already had a memorable playoffs, pulling the miracle at Denver and then avenging last year’s AFC Championship Game loss last Sunday in New England. 

For San Francisco, there aren’t as many story lines outside of the QB thing, the coach thing, and I guess the defense trying to cement their place in history with a championship. Well, there is Randy Moss looking for that championship that eluded him in Minnesota and New England. And it’s also the San Francisco 49ers franchise, which was down for a full decade, and has reclaimed their place at the top of the NFL. They are 5-0 all-time in the Super Bowl and a win on Sunday would tie them with Pittsburgh for most SB titles. Plus, they’d be 6-0 compared with Pittsburgh’s 6-2. 

I have a feeling this year won’t end on a happy note no for me no matter what. I guess the only thing I can hope for is to pick the game correctly, both straight up and ATS. I don’t feel that confident.


Super Bowl XLVII

Baltimore (+3.5) vs. San Francisco (New Orleans) 
Pick: Niners cover



No comments: