Friday, January 11, 2013

The NFL Blog: 2012 Divisional Round Betting Lines



Last Week: Vs. Spread: (2-2); Straight Up: (4-0)
Season: Vs. Spread: (132-122-6); Straight Up: (172-87-1)

Wild Card Round Review: I guess I can’t complain about going 4-0 picking winners and .500 ATS. None of the games were really all that exciting. The only thing memorable about this year’s opening weekend of the playoffs was RGIII’s injury. That pretty much sums up this year’s Wild Card Round.

Divisional Round Preview: This is one of the great weekends of the year for sports fans in America. The WC Round is always exciting because it starts the playoffs but the best teams usually don’t play that weekend. Championship Sunday is obviously tremendous but that’s just 1 day and only 2 games. Super Bowl Sunday speaks for itself but that’s just a few hours of football crammed into what feels like decades of hype and non-football related flash. The Divisional Round is 2 games on Saturday and 2 games on Sunday and it features the best teams in the league. 

This year I’m not quite as excited for the weekend as a whole. That’s because I’ve never been this nervous for a Falcons game. I am glad that my team’s game is on Sunday in case things go poorly. A few years ago when the Birds lost at home on Saturday night in the Divisional Round I couldn’t even enjoy the next day’s games. I’m hopeful that this time around the Falcons will get over the hump. But I’m nervous. 

As for my picks, it may look as though I’ve overcorrected by going with 4 favorites to cover after all 4 favorites covered last week. It really doesn’t feel that way to me. I may end up being completely wrong but I just think the top 2 seeds in the AFC are much better than the other 2 division winners. On the other side, the spreads are a field goal or less for the home team, which usually means you’re either going with the favorite to cover or you’re going with the upset straight up. I think the Niners are better than the Packers and they have home field. As for the other game, well, I’m putting my faith in my team. They are going to get it done. 


Saturday’s Early Game


Baltimore (+9.5) @ Denver 
Pick: Broncos cover



Saturday Night’s Game


Green Bay (+2.5) @ San Francisco
Pick: Niners cover



Sunday’s Early Game


Seattle (+3) @ Atlanta
Pick: Falcons cover 



Sunday’s Late Game


Houston (+9.5) @ New England
Pick: Patriots cover


No comments: