Friday, January 4, 2013

The Baseball Blog: 2012 Horse Collar Awards Part I (Introduction)



2012 MLB Horse Collar Awards

It took me awhile to get down to the business of my MLB awards this year. When I finally got around to the project, I realized that very little from the 2012 season stood out for me. It was one of the more ordinary years we’ve seen in quite a while. There just weren’t as many memorable moments and stories as there often are. 

There were some no-hitters and perfect games; some surprise teams; and a handful of impressive individual seasons, but that’s pretty much the case every year. The final week and weekend had drama but it was nothing like the final days of the 2011 season. 

The brand new 1-game wild card playoffs were supposed to be instant classics; dial-a-dramatic-game. But they didn’t do much for me. Admittedly I’m a bit biased as a Braves fan, but I think 1-game playoffs between teams with different records are always going to seem superfluous and hokey. It is what it is: an abomination. 

But once we got that garbage over with we were treated to possibly the best LDS round of all-time. While the outfield-fly rule had eliminated any chance of this being my favorite postseason of all-time, I actually thought we could be headed for one of the great postseasons of the modern era. 

However, the LDS round was followed by one of the worst ALCS in recent history. On the other side, the NLCS went 7 games and featured the Giants coming from down 3-1 in the series. But this year’s NLCS won’t show up on any lists of the greatest 7-game series of all-time. Finally the 2012 season ended with a whimper, in one of the least interesting World Series of the last decade. 

So that was it. I wonder what I’ll remember 5 years ago when I think about the 2012 season. But the answer is pretty obvious: Outfield-fly. 


About this Year’s Awards

The structure of this awards entry is almost exactly the same as last year. All of the categories and titles are the same. The major difference between this year’s awards entry and last year’s is in the comments; specifically the length of the comments about each award. Last year I tried to give an explanation for each award choice and things quickly got out of hand. The project turned into a monster that required several different entries. The end result was that the commentary was thorough but also repetitive. This year I simply couldn’t allow myself to repeat the process. I decided that I wouldn’t attempt the “explanation” of each choice but would instead just make a few brief comments. In the end, do to time constraints and other factors, I realized that solution wasn’t going to work either. So, I was forced to eliminate comments about the individual awards all together.  
 
The Biggest Douche of the Year Award is the only section that contains commentary. It’s pretty hard to leave that section on its own without some comments. I’d say the BDOTY award is the signature piece of all of my award entries and therefore cannot be compromised. 

Other than the lack of comments everything is basically the same as last year. If this is your first time checking out my awards, you’ll notice that I have come up with a lot of my own original awards which I pick along with the traditional awards. My awards are much more specific than the mainstream awards. You’ll also notice that some of the awards seem repetitive, but I find that this is necessary in order to be inclusive. 9 out of 10 seasons my top 3 position players are going to be my top 3 for the MVP, but there might be 1 year when a pitcher sneaks in there, and that’s why I like to specialize the awards. 

By the way, for just about all of the awards involving position players I consider batting, base running, and defense. For the pitching awards that involve NL players, I don’t pay any attention to a pitcher’s performance as an offensive player (but I did again give an award to the top hitting pitcher this year). 

While I consider things like team success--both during the regular season and the postseason--it’s really a minor factor and would only have an impact if players are virtually impossible to separate using individual numbers. I also consider postseason performance in all of the awards, but it’s definitely secondary to the overall performance.

I should say that my Gold(ish) Glove Awards are different from the rest of my awards in the way I come up with my selections. I make those selections by using a combination of the following sources: what I’ve seen with my own eyes following the game; player reputation; the defensive metrics used by FanGraphs; and the Fielding Bible Voting. This year I feel more confident about my defensive awards than ever before.  


Thoughts on the Process

I know I’ve said this several times before but it’s interesting to me that every time I do an awards entry the process is in some way different. Occasionally the difference will be in the stats or the way I’m looking at the stats. I would have to say that was the case this season. 

One of the interesting things about baseball stats—and really sports stats in general--is that often times an old idea will suddenly become a bigger part of the conversation for seemingly no real reason. I’ll use a stat from another sport as an example. 

The Passer Rating has been around for many years. It was once fairly obscure. It wasn’t something that fans talked about much or people covering the game mentioned very often. It might get thrown in there every now and then. Someone might mention that “Jerry Rice had the good fortune of playing with perhaps the greatest QB of all-time early in his career and then later in his career with a guy who finished with the best career passer rating in NFL history.” 

You knew that meant that Steve Young was very special but you didn’t necessarily know what exactly the passer rating was. And then for some reason people started mentioning rating more often and that led to people looking up exactly how passer rating is calculated and that increase in attention led to ESPN coming up with their own QB rating that included running and adjusted for things like down and distance. Nowadays, people still talk TD’s, INT’s, yards, and team record, but passer rating is mentioned at least as often. 

During this baseball season, the “breakthrough stat” was WAR. Again, this is not a new concept or even a new statistic. For anyone who was into Sabermetrics before Moneyball or who got interested in the subject around the time of its publication, one of the first Saber stats encountered was WAR, and one of the easier concepts to grasp was the idea of “Wins Above Replacement.” But WAR was just one of the useful stats that someone might look at along with OPS or Runs Created for hitters, K/9 or BABIP for pitchers, Range Factor and Total Zone Runs for defense, and so on. 

Suddenly this season, WAR was everywhere. It was being mentioned on shows like Around the Horn and talked about on Twitter by people who were not a part of the Saber world. Somewhere along the way it seemed that people were looking at it as the definitive stat to be used in all situations rather than just a really good stat to be used alongside other metrics. 

When I created my awards this season I consciously guarded against using WAR as the end-all-be-all determining factor. This might seem silly, but if you go on a baseball website and look up individual stats you’ll notice that the WAR stat holds a prominent position. This is a good thing because it’s a great stat, but it’s not perfect and you should always be looking at several different metrics when trying to determine how good a player is or which player is better or who is the best player. 

As I mentioned before, WAR isn’t a new stat, and many people have been using it for years. The change this season was really more psychological than anything else. It just seemed to be focused on by people covering the game much more than ever before. On the other hand, the area of baseball statistics that actually did change in a major way this season (at least from my perspective) was defense. 

Fielding statistics have trailed far behind the advancements in the areas of batting and pitching. Defense has always been difficult to measure with stats, and many of the metrics used to try and measure fielding have been notoriously unreliable. Just last year I wrote in this same section of the awards blog about how little faith I had in defensive stats. 

Maybe I was just looking at the wrong stats or maybe there really have been some major advancements since last year, but whatever the case, I was much more impressed with the defensive numbers this year. In the past, there were so many times when a number spit out by one of the defensive stats simply did not make any sense at all. I found those instances to be almost non-existent this year. As I mentioned earlier, I feel better about my defensive awards than I ever have before. I should also add that while I have always considered baserunning and defense when coming up with the award choices, those two areas had a bigger impact this season because I felt like I had reliable stats to work with. 

One of the interesting things about Sabermetrics becoming mainstream and the impact that Moneyball has had is that it all happened at a point when the game was in the midst of a power era. The crackdown on PED’s and probably a few other things brought an end to the power era. Some of the beliefs expressed back in the early 2000’s (or at least, some of the ideas people came away with after reading Moneyball or diving into Sabermetrics research) might not make quite as much sense in the game of today. The downplaying of speed on the bases and of athleticism in the field made sense when every game was 11-9. But now that every game is 3-2 it doesn’t seem to make as much sense to play a guy who can hit but can’t field or to ignore a guy with little power but great baserunning skills.  

The stat community seems to have adjusted. People continue to talk about OBP and power being keys, but there has been much more talk recently about the value of defense and base running.

Okay. Enough with the introductions. Let’s get to the awards.

No comments: