Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The NFL Blog: 2012 Week 14 Betting Lines



Last Week: Vs. Spread: (6-9-1); Straight Up: (10-6)
Season: Vs. Spread: (100-87-5); Straight Up: (124-67-1)

Week 13 Review: Not my best week to be sure. Of course, it could have been much worse. I mentioned in last week’s blog that I was worried about picking all of those road teams and underdogs. I thought it could be a recipe for disaster. For a while on Sunday it looked like that disastrous week had finally hit. 

Because it was such a crazy week I’m going to have to extend the review section a bit this week and give the imaginary readers a full recap of what happened (note: nowadays my memory gets fuzzy really quickly, so I don’t know if my timeline matches up with reality here, but this is how I remember it). 

Until eking out a backdoor cover in the Vikings-Packers game I didn’t have a single game locked down. Things were already looking bleak when I was hit with a series of tough breaks from around 3:30 to 4:00. Chicago and San Francisco both blew leads and ended up going to overtime. At that point I started to root for them both to lose, as it would help my Falcons, and fortunately they did. But that basically made me 1-7 ATS so far, as I had lost the Houston-Tennessee, Buffalo-Jacksonville, Indianapolis-Detroit, and Carolina-Kansas City games long before. 

Then things got much worse, as a couple of games that I seemed to have a good chance of winning fell through. First the Patriots settled for a FG and a 10-point lead with just a few minutes to play rather than punching in a TD from inside the 5 for a 14-point lead. The 10-point lead would have been enough for me to cover, but the Dolphins were able to move downfield against NE’s prevent defense, and the Fins decided to kick a FG on 4th down to make it a 1-score game. It didn’t matter, as the Patriots recovered the onsides kick to win, but I lost ATS. Then the Jets had a 1st and goal against Arizona, leading by 1 in the closing minutes. I needed a TD, as the spread was 4.5. Instead, the Jets got the clock to a point where they didn’t have to run another play and then just downed the ball. 

So I was now looking at 1-9. But out of nowhere the Colts made a comeback. I’d been keeping an eye on the score but I was considering it a sure loss, as the spread was Indy +4.5 and they were down 33-21 with only minutes to go. There would be no reason for them to go for 2 if they scored, so it seemed over. But they got it to 33-28 and then pulled off a last minute drive, scoring with no time on the clock to win 35-33. 

That totally changed my perspective of the day, as I’d finally had a sure loss turn into a surprise win rather than the other way around, and 2-8 just seemed a lot better than 1-9. For one thing, it meant I still had a shot at going .500 and I wouldn’t need to be that good the rest of the way to avoid a disastrous week. I decided to shoot for (hope for?) a 6-10 record and anything better than that would just be a bonus. 

The late slate started off well for me but then things turned. Even in the Tampa-Denver game--where the Bucs were +8 and led by 3 at the half--I was conflicted, as I wanted Tampa to lose and clinch the NFC South title for my Falcons. Not too surprisingly that turned out to be the first of the four late games that I checked as a sure loss. I had to sweat out the Cinci-San Diego and Cleveland-Oakland games and I wasn’t very positive about my Pittsburgh pick once they fell behind double digits. But then the Steelers pulled off a great comeback and Cinci and Cleveland held on and I knew that I had at least avoided that super disaster week. 

Finally, the Denver and Tampa Bay coaching strategies combined to deliver me what I will hesitantly refer to as a “backdoor push.” Once the Broncos got their big lead they really didn’t push it offensively. The Bucs were content to kick field goals despite being down double digits, and in the end the Broncos won by 8, giving the Falcons the division title and me a 3-0-1 record in the late games. 

The night game started off well and I was still in good position late, as the Eagles led by 7 going to the 4th. Philly led by 3 with less than 10 minutes to go and even when Dallas scored to take the lead I was still fine because I had Philly +10. All I needed was for the Eagles to not royally screw up over the last 5 minutes. However, with less than 4 minutes to go, Bryce Brown fumbled yet again, and Morris Claiborne somehow picked up the ball in the middle of the field and went 50-yards to the end zone without being touched to make it 38-27. 

I was extremely pissed but I thought there was some hope because there was still 3:50 to play and I thought Dallas might play in a prevent. I thought the Eagles might even do what Miami had done earlier in the day and kick a FG to make it a 1-possession game if they couldn’t get all the way down the field. But when the Eagles turned it over on downs at the Dallas 45 with 1:52 to play I gave up in disgust. 

I checked the situation on my phone a few minutes later and realized that the Eagles would probably get the ball back with a minute or so left. I decided not to turn back to the game and just hope that somehow the score ended up changing. When I looked back a few minutes later I saw the surprise final of 38-33. I then found out that the score came on a 98-yard punt return and it was one of the highlights of the day for me. 

That gave me a 6-8-1 record, so if I beat the spread on Monday night I would be as close to .500 as you could possibly be while still having a losing week. But I really didn’t care. I wanted the Giants to lose and 6-9-1 is no disaster. It actually felt like I’d had a good week.
 

Week 14 Preview: I still have some cushion left but I feel like I haven’t had a really great week picking games in a while. I’m in need of a bounce back performance this week. There are 16 games and no byes once again. The Thursday night game is weak and there are only 3 late games on Sunday, but both the Sunday and Monday night games should be solid. 

As for my picks, I’m very, very worried. There are a few things causing me disconcertment. For one thing, I’m coming off of a bad week and I feel like I’m in a bit of a slump. Also, when I was making my picks I got what seems like a bad break at the moment but could end up not mattering either way. The Pittsburgh line was late due to the uncertain QB situation. By the time a line appeared for that game a number of the other spreads had moved. I’ve always made it a policy to go by the lines as they are when I actually sit down and make my picks (that way I’m not tempted to “cheat” and use early lines for some games and late lines for others), and all of the line changes went against the way I had been planning to go. 

So in a sense, I lost a half point in a few games. That could end up being a big deal or no deal at all. What does seem like a big deal to me is something I did after I made my initial picks; something I never, ever do. I noticed that I was again picking a number of road teams and underdogs and this gave me a bad feeling so I began to rethink my picks. I never rethink my picks based on an overall trend that seems unlikely. For example, I’m not picking a single underdog to win straight up this week, which almost certainly won’t happen, but I’m not going to go out searching for an upset to pick. However, I did end up changing my picks in a number of games ATS. I’m trying to tell myself that I simply changed my mind and didn’t just change a few picks so I wouldn’t be going with as many road teams and dogs, but I can’t be sure. I really hope I don’t have a second straight week of bad picks.

 


Thursday Night’s Game


Denver (-10.5) @ Oakland
Pick: Broncos cover


Sunday’s Early Games


Baltimore (+1) @ Washington
Pick: Skins covers


Kansas City (+6) @ Cleveland
Pick: Browns win but Chiefs beat the spread


San Diego (+6) @ Pittsburgh
Pick: Steelers cover


Tennessee (+5.5) @ Indianapolis
Pick: Colts cover


New York Jets (-2.5) @ Jacksonville
Pick: Jets cover


Chicago (-2.5) @ Minnesota
Pick: Bears cover


Atlanta (-3.5) @ Carolina
Pick: Falcons cover


Philadelphia (+7.5) @ Tampa Bay
Pick: Bucs cover


St. Louis (+3) @ Buffalo
Pick: Bills cover


Dallas (+3) @ Cincinnati
Pick: Bengals cover


Sunday’s Late Games



Miami (+10) @ San Francisco 
Pick: Niners cover


New Orleans (+5) @ New York Giants
Pick: Giants win but Saints beat the spread


Arizona (+10.5) @ Seattle
Pick: Seahawks cover




Sunday Night’s Game


Detroit (+7) @ Green Bay 
Pick: Packers cover



Monday Night’s Game


Houston (+3.5) @ New England  
Pick: Patriots win but Texans beat the spread
















No comments: